In this article, we’ll explore the most popular Mediterranean cruise itineraries and share the highlights of each route.
The Mediterranean has long been one of the most popular regions for cruising – for good reason. With its stunning coastlines, fascinating historic cities and rich cultural heritage, the Mediterranean offers a variety of itineraries for cruise lovers.
Top 5 Mediterranean Cruise Itineraries: Discover the most popular destinations
A Mediterranean cruise is a great way to explore several stunning destinations in a short space of time. Here are the top 5 most popular cruise itineraries in the Mediterranean:
- The Western Mediterranean Route: this route takes you along the beautiful coasts of France, Spain and Italy. You can visit the glamorous city of Cannes, explore the majestic island of Sardinia and discover the historic city of Rome. The Western Mediterranean route offers a perfect mix of beaches, culture and history.
- The Eastern Mediterranean Route: This route takes you to the fascinating countries of Greece, Turkey and Croatia. You can visit the stunning Acropolis in Athens, explore the historic ruins of Ephesus and enjoy the charming port of Dubrovnik. The Eastern Mediterranean route is rich in ancient history and offers a glimpse into the diverse culture of the Mediterranean.
- The Northern Europe-Mediterranean Route: This route offers a fascinating combination of Northern Europe and the Mediterranean. You can admire the impressive fjords of Norway, explore the romantic city of Venice (picture above: mural on a wall of a house in Venice) and visit the historic city of Barcelona. The Northern Europe-Mediterranean Route offers a varied landscape and a mix of modern culture and historical heritage.
- The Greek Islands Route: This route takes you to the famous Greek islands such as Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes. You can explore the picturesque white villages of Santorini, enjoy the lively atmosphere of Mykonos and discover the historic old town of Rhodes. The Greek Islands Route offers fascinating landscapes, crystal clear waters and a rich Greek culture.
- The Southern Europe Mediterranean Route: This route takes you to the beautiful coasts of France, Spain and Portugal. You can visit the glamorous city of Monaco, admire the impressive cathedral of Seville and explore the charming city of Lisbon. The Southern Europe-Mediterranean route offers a mix of Mediterranean culture, impressive architecture and delicious cuisine.
From the gorgeous Amalfi Coast to the historic Acropolis: The Mediterranean Highlights
The Mediterranean is known for its impressive highlights. Here are some of the highlights you can experience on a Mediterranean cruise:
The Amalfi Coast in Italy is one of the most beautiful coastal regions in Europe. With its pastel-coloured houses, steep cliffs and picturesque villages, the Amalfi Coast provides a stunning backdrop for your Mediterranean cruise.
The historic Acropolis in Athens, Greece, is a must-see. This ancient site towers majestically over the city and offers breathtaking views of the Greek capital.
The city of Venice in Italy is another Mediterranean highlight. The romantic canals, magnificent palaces and charming alleys make Venice a unique destination. However, the lagoon city is hopelessly crowded, not only in summer; cruise ships are not always allowed to dock.
The island of Santorini in Greece is known for its stunning sunsets and picturesque white villages. A walk along the narrow streets of Oia is an unforgettable experience.
The historic city of Dubrovnik in Croatia is surrounded by impressive city walls and offers a fascinating insight into the history of the Mediterranean.
A Mediterranean cruise offers a fantastic opportunity to explore some of Europe’s most beautiful destinations in the shortest possible time. W